Sunday, January 8, 2012

A New Journey into Foster Care


Before
(Look how happy we are, one year ago, New Year's Day 2011!)

I call this picture "Before" because this is before my family agreed to embark upon the journey of becoming a foster care family. We are ready now. I know life is going to change a lot in the next year, and I have no idea exactly what changes will come our way. What we do know is that we must share what we have with a child and his parents who are struggling.

Sometimes the first question I get from someone else about doing this is "How will you be able to give the child up once you have her/him in your home?" 

I do think about that, but we are really doing this to help a family in crisis. So hopefully, if the family is ready to be reunited, we will be happy to see the crisis managed and overcome. At the same time, it would be hard to have a child move on, especially if my family grew attached to the child. But missing them would also feel good because that would mean we have made a connection and we would know we served a purpose in helping a family through a tough time. The reality that my family will be challenged by doing this is not a good enough reason for us to shy away from becoming a foster care home.

Even though I am a new prospective foster parent, I have been working as a child welfare professional in foster care and adoption, both as a licensed social worker (since 1990) and as an attorney (since 2005). In this blog I plan to share my family's journey, answer people's questions, and offer some practical information about the foster care process and system.



6 comments:

  1. Wishing you and your kids the best of luck. What a selfless gift you are willing to give to someone in need.
    May God bless you and guide you in this next step in your life.
    Thanks so much for starting this blog, I am honored to be included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. I hope we do this well, it's a tough task.

      Delete
  2. If anyone can do this, you can! Can't wait to hear your adventures as you travel this road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of Luck to the three of you! Can't wait to see/hear/read how your own journey unfolds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, now we ride the rollercoaster at the same time, in the same car!

      Delete